Photo
- - - - -

Bus From Guadalajara To Sayulita

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Sandi K

Sandi K

Established Contributor (11-25 posts/replies)

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 09:15 PM

Hello

We have the opportunity to visit Guadalajara for a few days, prior to our week in Sayulita this February. I want to make extra sure the information I have is accurate.

We would take the UTA bus from Guadalajara to Tepic, then transfer to the local bus from Tepic to Sayulita (at the the highway). Correct? Is there a local bus that we could take from Tepic into town?

I'm not too concerned about time tables, I undersand things change frequently. Just some detailed information on the buses available would be helpful.

Muchas Gracias! :D

#2 don Vivo Aqui

don Vivo Aqui

Honored Contributor (500+ posts/replies)

• Home-Business Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,486 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 10:22 AM

I have made that trip many times. Here are options that I suggest:

1. From Guadalajara take either the Vallarta Plus bus line or the Pacifico bus line. Vallarta Plus has its own terminals (map: http://vallartaplus.com/page009.aspx ) and Pacifico leaves from the central camionera (map: http://www.spanishab...admetro_map.gif ) to Bucerias which has a terminal for each line where you will get off. This will be dead-heading and you will pass Sayulita crucero (crossroad) and then return using the Compostela local bus line which has a stop near those Pacifico/V.Plus terminals. The Compostela local bus will take you to Sayulita.

This route saves you time and by-passes Tepic with very few stops between Guadalajara and Bucerias.

2. From Guadalajara take the Pacifico or Vallarta Plus lines as described in 1. above.

Get off the Vallarta Plus or Pacifico bus in La Penita. From La Penita take a local (from Tepic central camionera origin) Pacifico bus to the Sayulita crucero to get off. From the crucero either wait for a Compostela line bus, a passing taxi, hitchhike, or walk into Sayulita.

Consider darkness in making your trip plans, particularly if you use option 2. With either option, be aware that the Compostela line's last bus into Sayulita leaves Puerto Vallarta at 7pm (Sayulita time) and will be in Bucerias at 7:30pm or the Sayulita Crucero at about 7:45pm.

Buen viaje. :)

#3 Mark E-M

Mark E-M

Experienced Contributor (26-75 posts/replies)

• Home-Business Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 11:38 AM

Hi Sandi & DVA,

This is second hand, but one of our daughters took a bus from Guadalajara earlier this year, and she said - for the first time ever, as she has done this many times - there was a bus that actually came into Sayulita to let people off. Other times she had to either bribe the driver to let her off at the Sayulita exit of the highway (which she said was always possible for 200 pesos) or get off in La Penita and/or Bucerias and take a local bus. So, there might be a bus that really comes to Sayulita, though Sandi would need to check on that to be sure!!

Best, Mark

#4 Sayulita Forum Moderator

Sayulita Forum Moderator

• Admin
  • 550 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 01:03 PM

There is a bus that runs directly to/from Sayulita/Guadalajara. It runs several times a week, but leaves Guadalajara early in the morning (about 7a.m.). That's good news, however, at the Sayulita end as it gives you almost a full day once you arrive.

#5 Sandi K

Sandi K

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 02:34 PM

Gentlemen...thanks so much for the information!

If I'm reading the Vallarta Plus site correctly (my limited spanish), it looks like they do have a direct bus to Sayulita. Although, not every day. Perhaps excluding Mon and Tues? We would be looking to travel on Saturday, so I think we're ok.

No problem with us walking/hitchhiking from the highway, we pack light, and have usually found rides or a taxi before. I just hope I don't buy too many things in Guadalajara!

If you have a spare moment, would you mind looking at that to be sure I'm not mis-reading it?

Thank you so much again!

#6 don Vivo Aqui

don Vivo Aqui

• Home-Business Owners
  • 1,486 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 05:17 PM

Gentlemen...thanks so much for the information!

If I'm reading the Vallarta Plus site correctly (my limited spanish), it looks like they do have a direct bus to Sayulita. Although, not every day. Perhaps excluding Mon and Tues? We would be looking to travel on Saturday, so I think we're ok.

No problem with us walking/hitchhiking from the highway, we pack light, and have usually found rides or a taxi before. I just hope I don't buy too many things in Guadalajara!

If you have a spare moment, would you mind looking at that to be sure I'm not mis-reading it?

Thank you so much again!

This looks like good news. It appears that there now is service between Guadalajara and Sayulita except on Tuesday and Wednesday (Martes / Miercoles). It's apparently one bus per day in each direction. The stop in Rincon de Guayabitos is new too. It might be the one that I heard departs from the book store but I have never seen it and thought it was a charter that left much earlier in the morning. Hopefully someone can add even more detail on this bus route. By the way, if you plan to travel from Guadalajara on Saturday I would suggest you buy your ticket early and be ready to board the bus early; it could be crowded.

:)

#7 Sandi K

Sandi K

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 07:23 PM

DVA - thanks, I hadn't thought about Saturday being busy!

Do you know if we could buy our tickets in advance from Vallarta Plus?

No problem in getting out and about early, geeze, the older I get, the earlier I wake up!

I would be great to learn more detail from others who have taken this trip personally.

thanks so much, this is why this forum works so well! Can't wait!!

#8 Sayulita Forum Moderator

Sayulita Forum Moderator

• Admin
  • 550 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 07:14 AM

Yes, you can book your seat(s) from Guadalajara to Sayulita in advance and reserve your seats as well, which is a great service. I have never taken that Vallarta Plus bus direct to Sayulita but the route would be the same as the other bus lines. The trip takes about 4.5 hours.

#9 Sandi K

Sandi K

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 09:13 AM

Wow, I am impressed!

How would I go about doing that? Through their web site??

Thanks again so very much.

#10 don Vivo Aqui

don Vivo Aqui

• Home-Business Owners
  • 1,486 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 11:00 AM

Wow, I am impressed!

How would I go about doing that? Through their web site??

Thanks again so very much.

You could contact them directly to find out. Here is the contact page: http://vallartaplus.com/page008.aspx
My experience is that with most bus lines you need to go to a terminal/station to make a reservation. Some lines like TAP have online methods but most don't. The Vallarta Plus website doesn't seem to have a reservation or ticket buying option.

Does anyone know where the V.Plus bus picks up or lets off passengers in Sayulita?

#11 Sayulita Forum Moderator

Sayulita Forum Moderator

• Admin
  • 550 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 11:03 AM

The Vallartaplus bus arrives and departs at the Libreria (bookstore), and you can buy tickets there as well.

#12 eira orme

eira orme
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2007 - 06:02 PM

Hello. I wonder if anyone has any idea what time the bus leaves Rincon and how long does it take to get to Guadalahara.

#13 don Vivo Aqui

don Vivo Aqui

• Home-Business Owners
  • 1,486 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 06:22 PM

Hello. I wonder if anyone has any idea what time the bus leaves Rincon and how long does it take to get to Guadalahara.

Read above and follow the links. It is easy for you to figure out.

#14 Guest

• Guests

Posted 05 December 2007 - 07:42 PM

Hi there..sorry, don't mean to sound dense, but the lbookstore in Sayulita?

Don't think that will work for me since we're coming FROM Guadalajara to Sayulita...but it's good to know we won't have much of a walk to our rental casa!

Thanks again so much, I'll go to the Vallarta Plus terminal in Guadalajara soon after we arrive to purchase our tickets.

#15 Cindy Barry

Cindy Barry
  • Guests

Posted 18 January 2008 - 09:58 AM

I traveled by bus to Sayulita. They may drop you off on the hwy which is about a 20 minute walk into town. So don't be surprised when you feel that you have been left in the middle of the road. You will see a little side road, unmarked, it think, and it leads to town. I love Sayulita. I can't wait to go back. Do you know where the bus station is in Guad? I can't figure that out and we are busing from Moriela to Guad in Feb. Cindy

Hello

We have the opportunity to visit Guadalajara for a few days, prior to our week in Sayulita this February. I want to make extra sure the information I have is accurate.

We would take the UTA bus from Guadalajara to Tepic, then transfer to the local bus from Tepic to Sayulita (at the the highway). Correct? Is there a local bus that we could take from Tepic into town?

I'm not too concerned about time tables, I undersand things change frequently. Just some detailed information on the buses available would be helpful.

Muchas Gracias! :D

#16 don Vivo Aqui

don Vivo Aqui

• Home-Business Owners
  • 1,486 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 11:47 AM

I traveled by bus to Sayulita. They may drop you off on the hwy which is about a 20 minute walk into town. So don't be surprised when you feel that you have been left in the middle of the road. You will see a little side road, unmarked, it think, and it leads to town. I love Sayulita. I can't wait to go back. Do you know where the bus station is in Guad? I can't figure that out and we are busing from Moriela to Guad in Feb. Cindy

1. no need to walk; wait for local bus or taxi into town from crucero or hitch-hike. Its a long walk with a lot of baggage.

2. Look in detail in my post (#2) above. There is a map link that shows the location of the central bus station between Tlaquepaque and Tonala. The Vallarta Plus terminal is outside but near the central bus station.

Also, the "side road" you mentioned is the main road into Sayulita and forks to the right just before the first bridge on the Punta de Mita road, from the crucero.

#17 jetgirly

jetgirly

New Poster (1-5 posts/replies)

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 09:29 PM

2. Look in detail in my post (#2) above. There is a map link that shows the location of the central bus station between Tlaquepaque and Tonala. The Vallarta Plus terminal is outside but near the central bus station.

Just a note: I always leave GDL from the Zapopan bus station. It's located close to the intersection of Ave. Vallarta and Preferico. Vallarta Plus busses arrive at the Zapopan bus station forty minutes after leaving the central bus station. Depending on where your hotel/house is, Zapopan might be a better option. The Vallarta Plus bus station at Zapopan is a little bit before the 7-11; if you're coming from the direction of downtown it will be the first bus depot you see.

#18 terrorr

terrorr

Experienced Contributor (26-75 posts/replies)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 08:36 AM

Just found this thread.

I need to go FROM Sayulita TO Guadalarja leaving this Sunday (Sept7/08).

I went to the website http://vallartaplus.com/page001.aspx

which seems to indicate a bus leaving from Sayulita @ 2pm.

Can someone please confirm this? And can I buy a ticket from the Libreria? Is the Libreria open?
Thanks!

==========

I also found this great link which others may find useful:

http://members.virtu.../7830d/e200f/9/

#19 Guest

• Guests

Posted 02 September 2008 - 08:46 AM

[quote name='terrorr' date='Sep 2 2008, 08:36 AM' post='20447']
Just found this thread.

I need to go FROM Sayulita TO Guadalarja leaving this Sunday (Sept7/08).

I went to the website http://vallartaplus.com/page001.aspx

which seems to indicate a bus leaving from Sayulita @ 2pm.

Can someone please confirm this? And can I buy a ticket from the Libreria? Is the Libreria open?
Thanks!

==========
We have taken the Vallarta Plus bus from Sayulita to Guadalajara the past couple of years. You purchase your ticket and reserve your seat assignment at the liberia. The bus departs about 2pm across the street from the liberia. Upon arrival in Guadalajara, we book our return tickets at that time. The return bus does leave early, I believe 7AM. The bus will not leave you off at the main road, but takes you to the liberia.