- - - - -

Camping In Sayulita, Some Questions......

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Guest-Steve_*

Guest-Steve_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 April 2007 - 01:21 PM

Hi folks,
I'll likely be arriving by bus after dark on Friday night with my backpack, tent and hammock. I was wondering if someone here could give a quick summary of the camping options in Sayulita. Some general directions and distances for the options would also be appreciated. I did a search and found some old posts regarding this but an update would much appreciated. I just need a nice place to put the tent and some cool people to hang out with.....I'm more of a low-key backpacker type than the RV kinda guy.

Thanks in advance for any info you can share. I'm looking forward to Sayulita!

Gracias,
Steve

#2 Sayulita Forum Moderator

Sayulita Forum Moderator

Honored Contributor (500+ posts/replies)

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 03:18 PM

Hi Steve: You didn't mention how you will be arriving in Sayulita after dark. The last bus from the airport to Sayulita (and the last bus to arrive in Sayulita at all) leaves the airport at about 8pm and gets into Sayulita an hour later, which is also 8pm as we are one hour behind Vallarta.

So... you have two options for camping. If you are taking the bus, get off at the last stop. One option is to walk along the river beside the baseball field (on the same side of the river as the bus lets you off). At the end of that road, turn right and walk one block, then turn left. The entrance to the camp ground is a few yards down on your right.

Another option is to cross the bridge you will see when you get off the bus. Go down the road along the river on your right. Take the first left and a few yards along is the entrance to the other camp ground.

I did not put the two camp grounds in any particular order (e.g. better and worse). Each has its own charms.

#3 Guest-Steve_*

Guest-Steve_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 April 2007 - 04:10 PM

Hi Steve: You didn't mention how you will be arriving in Sayulita after dark. The last bus from the airport to Sayulita (and the last bus to arrive in Sayulita at all) leaves the airport at about 8pm and gets into Sayulita an hour later, which is also 8pm as we are one hour behind Vallarta.

So... you have two options for camping. If you are taking the bus, get off at the last stop. One option is to walk along the river beside the baseball field (on the same side of the river as the bus lets you off). At the end of that road, turn right and walk one block, then turn left. The entrance to the camp ground is a few yards down on your right.

Another option is to cross the bridge you will see when you get off the bus. Go down the road along the river on your right. Take the first left and a few yards along is the entrance to the other camp ground.

I did not put the two camp grounds in any particular order (e.g. better and worse). Each has its own charms.

Hi there, many thanks for the reply and the directions. Could you tell me the names of these 2 campgrounds? I'm assuming the one nearer the baseball field is El Camaron...?

I might have to spend the night in PV....I land in Guadalajara at 2:40pm and then go by bus to PV, seems like I will miss the last bus to Sayulita for sure.

Thanks,
-Steve

#4 Sayulita Forum Moderator

Sayulita Forum Moderator

• Admin
  • 553 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 05:09 PM

You're right, Steve. The one on the north side of the river (near the ballfield) is Camaron. The one on the south side of the river is Camping del Palmar.

#5 Guest

• Guests

Posted 26 April 2007 - 01:51 PM

You're right, Steve. The one on the north side of the river (near the ballfield) is Camaron. The one on the south side of the river is Camping del Palmar.

Thanks again! I hope to figure out a way to Sayulita the same night, maybe a taxi.

-Steve

#6 don Vivo Aqui

don Vivo Aqui

• Home-Business Owners
  • 1,495 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 08:06 PM

I might have to spend the night in PV....I land in Guadalajara at 2:40pm and then go by bus to PV, seems like I will miss the last bus to Sayulita for sure.

Thanks,
-Steve

Thanks again! I hope to figure out a way to Sayulita the same night, maybe a taxi.

-Steve

You can take a bus from Guadalajara's central camionera (bus station) to Las Varas north of Sayulita on the Pacifico line. Get off at Las Varas and then wait for a Tepic to P. Vallarta bus, Pacifico line. The second bus will drop you off at the crucero (crossroad) for Sayulita. From there you can wait for a local bus - Compostela line - and ride into town, or hitch hike, or wait for a stray taxi.

An alternative is to take a bus - most direct, first class, any line - from Guadalajara to Puerto Vallarta. From P. Vallarta central camionera walk the long block to the carretera (highway 200 to Tepic/Sayulita). Wait at the parada (bus stop) in front of the natural gas station for a Compostela line bus to Sayulita, which will be marked on the windshield. This bus will take you to Sayulita if before 8pm. If after 8pm take a Pacifico line bus bound for Tepic and get off at crucero as described above.

Have cash ready for fares in small bills or coins if taking a local bus.

:)

#7 Guest-Steve_*

Guest-Steve_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 April 2007 - 11:14 PM

You can take a bus from Guadalajara's central camionera (bus station) to Las Varas north of Sayulita on the Pacifico line. Get off at Las Varas and then wait for a Tepic to P. Vallarta bus, Pacifico line. The second bus will drop you off at the crucero (crossroad) for Sayulita. From there you can wait for a local bus - Compostela line - and ride into town, or hitch hike, or wait for a stray taxi.

An alternative is to take a bus - most direct, first class, any line - from Guadalajara to Puerto Vallarta. From P. Vallarta central camionera walk the long block to the carretera (highway 200 to Tepic/Sayulita). Wait at the parada (bus stop) in front of the natural gas station for a Compostela line bus to Sayulita, which will be marked on the windshield. This bus will take you to Sayulita if before 8pm. If after 8pm take a Pacifico line bus bound for Tepic and get off at crucero as described above.

Have cash ready for fares in small bills or coins if taking a local bus.

Don-Thanks, that's great info! I was thinking of doing just what you describe in the 2nd option, as I figured there must be Northbound local buses after 8. Thanks for the specific bus info, much appreciated!

Cheers,
-Steve

#8 Guest-tony_*

Guest-tony_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 November 2007 - 06:52 PM

Thanks for sharing the camping info folks.

Can anyone speak to the safety of ones gear & tent at the campground. Is it common to leave stuff set up & in place while out & about for the day, or is that asking for issues...?

Thanks,
tony

#9 don Vivo Aqui

don Vivo Aqui

• Home-Business Owners
  • 1,495 posts

Posted 25 November 2007 - 03:19 PM

Thanks for sharing the camping info folks.
Can anyone speak to the safety of ones gear & tent at the campground. Is it common to leave stuff set up & in place while out & about for the day, or is that asking for issues...?
Thanks,
tony

I believe that is "asking for issues" as you put it. The issue is coming back and having stuff missing. This might be particularly true if you have a pattern of coming or going or are noticed to be involved in something time consuming like surfing. Sayulita is generally safe but leaving a campsite unattended is a risk anywhere.

#10 Guest

• Guests

Posted 25 November 2007 - 04:57 PM

I believe that is "asking for issues" as you put it. The issue is coming back and having stuff missing. This might be particularly true if you have a pattern of coming or going or are noticed to be involved in something time consuming like surfing. Sayulita is generally safe but leaving a campsite unattended is a risk anywhere.

Thanks for the quick reply. Is there a safe place to secure/leave things during the day? Such as a locker or a storage area?

Thanks again
Tony

#11 Sayulita Forum Moderator

Sayulita Forum Moderator

• Admin
  • 553 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 07:50 AM

There are no lockers or safes, but you may wish to speak with the owner/manager of the camp site and see if some arrangements could be made, perhaps keeping your wallet etc. in their office.

#12 bart5432

bart5432

New Poster (1-5 posts/replies)

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 03:57 PM

I looked at both campgrounds the other day (Nov 28, 2007). Campground Camaron (N or the river) looks run down/poorly maintained. In comparison, Camping del Palmar (S of the river) looks well kept. The RV park near both looks well kept, and I think your things would be more secure there. All three are one the beach and are on the same road to the Plaza (Palmar) and are an easy stroll to the Plaza (just watch out for the dogshit...it's everywhere!). Make sure you eat at Rollies at least once...it's everything you read about...and MORE! Free wi-fi and toilet at Chocobanana (just be sure to buy something to eat or drink, to keep it free).

#13 art skibbe

art skibbe
  • Guests

Posted 01 December 2007 - 05:35 PM

just thought i would send you my latest journal entry, since it is about being here

itīs been a difficult day, here in sayulita, nyarit. i told luis, my 8th grade friend who is learning english, that in 2 days i would be as dark as him (3 at the most). so, i had to get my lazy smile out into the sun, in order to keep that promise. spent the afternoon way up on the top of the hotel, at the pool, catching rays and reading steven king. it was pretty hectic up there today, not the pristine solitude i have come to expect. a couple, pr4obably from france, judging from the way theey were talking came up for about 10 minutes. it wasnīt too disrup0tive, since the girl had a cute butt. later, a new guest named mark came up for about 20 minutes. he is a fireman from sand diego and seemed pretty nice.

i am spending my 3 and 1/2 cents per minute here on the net, awaiting happy hour at rollieīs ($1 pacifico). last nite went out out to la bi cy clete, or something like that (french) and say jelly jar, a jazz blues band with a killer banjo. much fun was had. got lotsa desperado pictures, danced with a few of the local wenches, and male bonded with what appeared to be the surfer king. he may not be the ultimate surfer king, but he was head honcho on friday night with the cool crowd. somehow he and i ended up dancing (he really looked like one of the bad surfers from point break). iīm not sure it was bonding, or maybe some sort of domince display, but he is a pretty good dancer.

tonight, ganjos reggae band is playing at the same place, so more fun awaits. i do like the feeling here. i can party sometimes and just relax other times. in puerto vallarta, it seemed like i had to party all the time. spending the afternoon today, in my fortress of solitude, watching the birds fly by beneath me, was very pleasant. we will boogie tonight, and probably have a v ery quiet day and night tomorrow.

step is easy to hang with. since i am a cripple, he has to do all the wandering stuff, and i am in charge of hanging out at the pool. but this works for both of us.

after days of thinking, i have finally figured out how i am going to handle my love of this place. next year i will come down here and spend the month of november in room 4 of our hotel (a room which has about 10 more square feet than ours (3). lots of people say they want to comew down (charlie, tom, ian, stan, even adrian), so i can have different pwople down to spend a week or two, and the room wiull only be $15 apiece. (of course, i must warn you that the place is right on the street and gets a lot of street noise, including loud speakers, but i like that king of noise, so it doesnīt bosther me, and i sleep right through it. last night, aroun midnight, some young man came down the street with a steam whistle. a real steam whistle, on wheels, and he stopped every 50-100 feet and let it blast. seemed a little gratuitous to me, and pissed step off, since he was asleep.)

also, i will spend a week at pv, at either end of my month here, so anyone who wants to see both pv and sayulita can come in late octoberr or late november.

now i donīt have to think about buying a house down here, at least not until next year.

by the way, anyone who is interested in our little berg can look it up at
www.sayulitalife.com. hope everyone is well.

looking more mexican daily, arturo

#14 mary mcguire

mary mcguire
  • Guests

Posted 11 September 2009 - 12:27 PM

Help!
My daughter and her family want to stay at the campground north of the river when they come to visit us this winter from December 20th thru January 2nd. How do we make reservations?
thanks,
Mary

#15 don Vivo Aqui

don Vivo Aqui

• Home-Business Owners
  • 1,495 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 01:31 PM

Help!
My daughter and her family want to stay at the campground north of the river when they come to visit us this winter from December 20th thru January 2nd. How do we make reservations?
thanks,
Mary

I think you have to contact the campground to make reservations.

#16 gabriel

gabriel
  • Guests

Posted 24 December 2009 - 09:53 AM

Hey u guys I have a two part question. The first one is the preice for staying at the campgrounds. the second is there limited amount of people that can stay at the campground?
thanks

#17 Barbara

Barbara
  • Guests

Posted 24 December 2009 - 02:20 PM

I recently did a search for a friend from Canada about RVīs parks in Sayulita. Many look like they are old, noisey, but depending on what you want. All kinds of prices too.

The Cameron is full. It is well kept and eating places on the beach. One guest told me that many people come year after year. I really liked the manager there.

The very nicest, El Palmar is being remodeled. Nacho is the owner. He charges $100 pesos per night per person. He has a young man that questions everyone he does not recognize coming into the park. I spoke to some tourists camping there and was told the sound of a pounding surf was very relaxing. Nacho has email, but they are not real fast in responding. They probably have a phone, but they speak only Spanish. If you have other questions you can email at barbarainsayulita@gmail.com

#18 David Ballard

David Ballard
  • Guests

Posted 07 March 2010 - 09:52 AM

What happend to the German RV park in Sayulita?

#19 don Vivo Aqui

don Vivo Aqui

• Home-Business Owners
  • 1,495 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 10:37 AM

What happend to the German RV park in Sayulita?

German RV park? Something happened? What are you referring to?

#20 Coug

Coug

Expert Contributor (76-150 posts/replies)

• Home-Business Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 12:45 PM

You want the Sayulita Trailer Park and Bungalows, www.pacificbungalows.com