- - - - -

Buddha Bar

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Minnesota Chicks

Minnesota Chicks
  • Guests

Posted 20 March 2007 - 07:41 PM

We love the Buddha Bar! It was our first visit to Sayulita, and we will be back! The food was fantastic. We had the Curry Chicken, which was wonderfully spicey. The atmosphere, lighting and cushy sofas were so relaxing! Our favorites were Rory, Charlie Brown and of course the most adorable waitress ever, Sprout! The Chef even came to the table to make sure we were satisfied and to thank us for coming! See you next year!

#2 Buddha Bar

Buddha Bar
  • Guests

Posted 21 March 2007 - 11:09 PM

Great..... We are delighted that you had such a great time and we hope you will be back soon!! Were you the girls that sent us the photos by chance? They were so great, but somehow they got deleted... if so we would love to get the pics again.

Abrazos (big hugs) from Buddha Bar..... Rory, Charlie Brown and of course the adorable Sprout!!

We love the Buddha Bar! It was our first visit to Sayulita, and we will be back! The food was fantastic. We had the Curry Chicken, which was wonderfully spicey. The atmosphere, lighting and cushy sofas were so relaxing! Our favorites were Rory, Charlie Brown and of course the most adorable waitress ever, Sprout! The Chef even came to the table to make sure we were satisfied and to thank us for coming! See you next year!

#3 Another Minnesota Chick

Another Minnesota Chick
  • Guests

Posted 23 March 2007 - 10:48 AM

Yep, one of our crew sent the pix, she'll re-send. Just wanted to add that not only was the food oh so good, but the atmosphere was amazing, totally unexpected in such a place as Sayulita. Were big fans and will spread the word. You should thank Miguel for his "solicitating" efforts, otherwise we may have never known about the place. Anyway, good luck to all at the Buddha Bar and big hello to Miss Sprout!

#4 Boobala

Boobala

Honored Contributor (500+ posts/replies)

• Home-Business Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 920 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 09:06 PM

I'm completely shocked that anyone would think the Budda Bar served 'good food'.
I suppose Minnestoa doesn't have a lot to offer in terms of Thai food but rest assured neither does the Budda Bar.
I lived next door to a Thai Restaurant for 14 years and it was one of the best in Southern California. I know Thai food well and consider it one of my favorites!

While the decor and bar are very well done, the food is sublime, prices are insane and the portions are ridiciulously small.

On the 3rd night of their opening I took a large group there for what was supposed to be a great night out.

We ordered several appetizers, of which they were out of many, and each of us ordered an entree thinking it would be enough to share and pass around. Appetizers arrived about an hour later. Some of the group were so upset they left. After two and a half hours (by that time most of us were pretty buzzed) our entries arrived and I almost fell off my chair laughing.
The Phat Thai noodles came in a bowl the size of a small cereal bowl and tasted nothing similar to Phat Thai. They were dry, without garnish and didn't even resemble the real deal. Ten dollars for a tiny, tasteless, small bowl of noodles.
Then they delivered Curry dishes to my friends and you needed a microscope to see the food. It was a farce! The portions were smaller than what you would serve a 3 year old! In fact, most of my friends left there and went for tacos or came to my house for left-over homemade spaggetti.

I was truly excited to have a new Thai Restaurant in town after hearing that El Thai was not going to re-open this season. I was seriously embarrased for the owners of the new Thai Restaurant upon trying it out. It's not rocket science to put out good Thai food.
They spent a lot of money in decorum, which is stunning, but failed ihorribly in the kitchen. I will go back to the bar for the ambience but until I hear different regarding the food my friends (all locals) and I will never consider eating there again.

I come from a pure heart and sincerely hope that things improve at the Budda Bar. I wish them nothing but success and prosperity and have no ill feeling towards the owners what so ever. In fact I don't even know them so my opinion is entirely without prejudice
Maybe in time thing will fall into place. If so I will be there often. Until then..................

#5 Guest

• Guests

Posted 24 March 2007 - 12:12 AM

We are obsessed with Buddha Bar and go there every night as the atmosphere is amazing, the food is great and the portions are ample. You must be pretty miserable people to not enjoy yourself at the Buddha Bar. We have no complains about the food and all the wonderful girls who work there who always make us feel like we are at home.

We do not think the prices are insane....we had a large chicken satay for 45 pesos, and the Nachos are enough for four people.

I have travelled all over the world and been to Asia and Thailand several times, and also consider Thai food one of my favorites and feel I am quite a good judge of their food, so am quite surprised by how unhappy you were. Considering how crowded it is every night we are not alone in thinking it is a great place to go.

The chef comes out and introduces himself to the guests every night and asks for their opinion of the food, which I find very important when a new restaurant is just opened. I just had to reply to this very untrue and exaggerated opinion of Buddha Bar. We will continue to go there as long as we are here visiting in Sayulita and highly recommend it to anyone who wants to try it.

"very happy customers of Buddha Bar"

I'm completely shocked that anyone would think the Budda Bar served 'good food'.
I suppose Minnestoa doesn't have a lot to offer in terms of Thai food but rest assured neither does the Budda Bar.
I lived next door to a Thai Restaurant for 14 years and it was one of the best in Southern California. I know Thai food well and consider it one of my favorites!

While the decor and bar are very well done, the food is sublime, prices are insane and the portions are ridiciulously small.

On the 3rd night of their opening I took a large group there for what was supposed to be a great night out.

We ordered several appetizers, of which they were out of many, and each of us ordered an entree thinking it would be enough to share and pass around. Appetizers arrived about an hour later. Some of the group were so upset they left. After two and a half hours (by that time most of us were pretty buzzed) our entries arrived and I almost fell off my chair laughing.
The Phat Thai noodles came in a bowl the size of a small cereal bowl and tasted nothing similar to Phat Thai. They were dry, without garnish and didn't even resemble the real deal. Ten dollars for a tiny, tasteless, small bowl of noodles.
Then they delivered Curry dishes to my friends and you needed a microscope to see the food. It was a farce! The portions were smaller than what you would serve a 3 year old! In fact, most of my friends left there and went for tacos or came to my house for left-over homemade spaggetti.

I was truly excited to have a new Thai Restaurant in town after hearing that El Thai was not going to re-open this season. I was seriously embarrased for the owners of the new Thai Restaurant upon trying it out. It's not rocket science to put out good Thai food.
They spent a lot of money in decorum, which is stunning, but failed ihorribly in the kitchen. I will go back to the bar for the ambience but until I hear different regarding the food my friends (all locals) and I will never consider eating there again.

I come from a pure heart and sincerely hope that things improve at the Budda Bar. I wish them nothing but success and prosperity and have no ill feeling towards the owners what so ever. In fact I don't even know them so my opinion is entirely without prejudice
Maybe in time thing will fall into place. If so I will be there often. Until then..................

#6 Boobala

Boobala

Honored Contributor (500+ posts/replies)

• Home-Business Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 920 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 01:30 AM

To begin with, how could anyone be miserable living here in Sayulita?
Were "living the dream".
That assumption is completely out in left field.

So you tried some Satay and Nachos?
Hardly a true test of the menu if that's what you base your opinion on.

As for the prices..........similar to prices in the states, but the tiny portions make the prices completely unreasonable.

The atmosphere is awesome as I stated in my previous posting. The staff is great. I never implied that they wern't. We were actually told by our really nice waitress that the chef had been instructed to serve larger portions but didn't comply. Apparently others had been commenting/complaining prior to our visit. You could sense her frustration and she was totally sympathetic to our situation.
The fact that our dinner took 2 1/2 hours to arrive is absurd! The waitress was at her wits ends and apologized profusely. No one could blame her! .

My friends and I have spoken to numerous other 'locals' who were equally disappointed in the food. My friends and I do not stand alone in our opinion. It seems to be the general consensus.

Quite probably the reason Buddha Bar has been so busy is due to the fact that it's 'high season' with many tourist in town, as well as lots of locals, myself included, anxious to try something 'new'. We all want to support new businesses. We all want a 'cool' place to dine.
I wonder how many locals will make it a 'regular' dinner spot. My guess is 'not many'.

The bar will do very well and most profit comes from the sales of alcohol anyway, so hopefully they will stay afloat.

I wish them all the best and will absolutely go there for drinks.
It is a cool place with so much potential. ;)

We are obsessed with Buddha Bar and go there every night as the atmosphere is amazing, the food is great and the portions are ample. You must be pretty miserable people to not enjoy yourself at the Buddha Bar. We have no complains about the food and all the wonderful girls who work there who always make us feel like we are at home.

We do not think the prices are insane....we had a large chicken satay for 45 pesos, and the Nachos are enough for four people.

I have travelled all over the world and been to Asia and Thailand several times, and also consider Thai food one of my favorites and feel I am quite a good judge of their food, so am quite surprised by how unhappy you were. Considering how crowded it is every night we are not alone in thinking it is a great place to go.

The chef comes out and introduces himself to the guests every night and asks for their opinion of the food, which I find very important when a new restaurant is just opened. I just had to reply to this very untrue and exaggerated opinion of Buddha Bar. We will continue to go there as long as we are here visiting in Sayulita and highly recommend it to anyone who wants to try it.

"very happy customers of Buddha Bar"

#7 Guest

• Guests

Posted 25 March 2007 - 02:16 PM

To begin with, how could anyone be miserable living here in Sayulita?
Were "living the dream".
That assumption is completely out in left field.

So you tried some Satay and Nachos?
Hardly a true test of the menu if that's what you base your opinion on.

As for the prices..........similar to prices in the states, but the tiny portions make the prices completely unreasonable.

The atmosphere is awesome as I stated in my previous posting. The staff is great. I never implied that they wern't. We were actually told by our really nice waitress that the chef had been instructed to serve larger portions but didn't comply. Apparently others had been commenting/complaining prior to our visit. You could sense her frustration and she was totally sympathetic to our situation.
The fact that our dinner took 2 1/2 hours to arrive is absurd! The waitress was at her wits ends and apologized profusely. No one could blame her! .

My friends and I have spoken to numerous other 'locals' who were equally disappointed in the food. My friends and I do not stand alone in our opinion. It seems to be the general consensus.

Quite probably the reason Buddha Bar has been so busy is due to the fact that it's 'high season' with many tourist in town, as well as lots of locals, myself included, anxious to try something 'new'. We all want to support new businesses. We all want a 'cool' place to dine.
I wonder how many locals will make it a 'regular' dinner spot. My guess is 'not many'.

The bar will do very well and most profit comes from the sales of alcohol anyway, so hopefully they will stay afloat.

I wish them all the best and will absolutely go there for drinks.
It is a cool place with so much potential. ;)

i have to agree with you. As a local, i love the fact of having something new and nice, very like to what i usually visit when i go to Puerto Vallarta with my girlfriends. Drinks are ok but food itīs not that good. i totally embarassed myself taking over for dinner my family who were visintg and we waited for about an hour to get appetizers, more than half an hour for main dish and the drinks more than 15 minutes and they were wrong. So, what else can i say? I hope they improve with the service wich is not as good with mexican people as with foreigns and with food, the place is beautiful, but please, they have to do it better.

#8 Another Minnesota Chick

Another Minnesota Chick
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2007 - 11:23 AM

Well, I guess everyone is entitled to thier opinion...my opinion is this: the Thai food in Minnesota (or 'Minnestoa' as you put it) is not what Im basing my opinion on (however, there are some great Thai restaurants here) its my travels to the actual country (yes, Minnesotans do get out of the five state area believe it or not!) that I make my comparisons too. Its not 100% authentic Thai food, but its tasty, fresh, well presented food in a great atmosphere. I also don't think they say they are a Thai restaurant, I heard it called Asian fusion. As for service, you went on their 3rd day...cut them some slack! If you know anything about working in a restaurant there will be growing pains. Im sure they may find some of your comments valuable and service will perhaps be up to your standards next time. Until then have another glass of wine and relax.

#9 Guest

• Guests

Posted 19 April 2007 - 09:26 AM

I totally agree.

#10 Sayulita Guest

Sayulita Guest
  • Guests

Posted 21 May 2007 - 04:16 PM

I was staying at the owner of the Buddha Bar's rental the week that it opened and had the pleasure of visiting the bar on the opening night (Sprout was our waitress too).

Suzanne told me that her intention was to create one of the only places in town that was open past 10pm, with a "hip and smile lounge feel", where people could meet up for drinks after dinner or grab a late night bite. I think she has done this very well; moreover, I don't think it was her intention for this to be a full on dining experience. Rather it is supposed to be more like Koi in LA, a place to see and be seen. Hence all the tapas style appetizers and very attractive girls working as servers.