- - - - -

Water polution and area concerns?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Arizona Karen

Arizona Karen
  • Guests

Posted 17 May 2005 - 02:34 PM

Someone told me that there is a polluted estuary which dumps onto the main beach. Is this true?

Are there any concerns to consider in June such as sandfleas, jellyfish, bad currents?

#2 Mike

Mike
  • Guests

Posted 18 May 2005 - 01:44 PM

There can be jellyfish in June, but the presence of jellyfish depends more on the wind than a particular time of year. When there is a strong onshore wind or north wind it blows them into the shoreline area. June seems to be a time with less wind.
Jellyfish stings seem to bother some people more than others, when stung romove any tentacles and splash the area with salt water, it seems to really help to spray Windex on the affected area right away or pour vineger on it. They pain seem to only really be more intense in the first 20 minutes. I have been stung many times while surfing and you actually get used to it and kind of just ignore it.
The jellyfish in Sayulita that I have encountered are not the dangerous kind that you find in the South Pacific.
As far as sand fleas I have never had them bother me. Pollution from the estuary
shouldn't be a problem in June as any water in the river seems to be contained behind a sand berm until the rains start. Again I have surfed in Sayulita for years at all times of the year and have never suffured and illness or infections.
The swimming beach in Sayulita has very little current except when the surf gets huge and in June this won't bee a problem. Relax and enjoy you time in Sayulita.

#3 Guest and Sayulita resident

Guest and Sayulita resident
  • Guests

Posted 29 May 2005 - 07:22 PM

June is the beginning of the rainy season. In 2003 on June 14 it rained in a heavy and constant downpour for 14 hours straight.
There is no estuary - estero - in Sayulita to my knowledge. However there is a rivermouth. After the first big rains in June, as in 2004, the sand berm build-up is washed out and a tremendous amount of polluted run-off pours into the ocean directly at the surf reef and into the swimming beach area. There are two other stream outlets that flow strongly in the rainy season pouring out pollution.
Think of what is upstream from the river/stream outlets... Sayulita has no effective sanitation and sewage system and so human, animal and other waste follows gravity and flows to the ocean by way of the streams when moved by strong rains. The beach and surf break stay a chocolate brown for days following heavy downpours. There is treasure trove of assorted debris - flotsom and jetsom - along the beach, some of it dangerous.
Sayulita is essentially in the mouth of a ravine and is without effective drainage. The collection of polluting contaminates that spill from cars and trucks during the dry season, and illegal dumping along roadsides, are dislodged and and wash down the streets/roads during the rainy season, again ending at rivers and streams. These carry to the ocean as well.
With more people and development these pollution problems will become more intense.
For now Arizona Karen, you may just want to take whatever precautions seem appropriate for such conditions.
I would caution taking the lucky experiences of others as being up to date or the concerns that may affect you. I, like Mike, have surfed for years, year 'round, in Sayulita without health problems. But I also make sure that my vaccinations and innoculations are up to date, including hepetitus. You may want to look for recommendations from the U.S. Center for Disease Control or your public health department.
Otherwise, have fun!
PS - Jellyfish and saltwater? Isn't it in saltwater where the stings occur? If saltwater helped would jellyfish stings even be an issue?

#4 Mike

Mike
  • Guests

Posted 30 May 2005 - 09:23 AM

Spashing the affected area of a jelly fish sting with salt water is basically to remove any remnants of tentacles which may be clinging to the skin. In the majority of sting cases you are not being stung by an entire jelly fish but fragments of jelly fish that have been broken up by the surf. Enjoy!