Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
KariJ

Moving to Sayulita

10 posts in this topic

Hi All!  My husband and I have our hearts set on moving to Sayulita or the surrounding area within the next year.  I am currently a corporate finance worker in Chicago (going on 17 years now) but am also a yoga teacher and have a lengthy background in restaurants.  I'm not bilingual but am willing to try and learn and am open to nearly any jobs available.  If there are any resources or other information/help you can provide, I would so greatly appreciate it.   Thank you so much! Kari

You can't legally work here. Sayulita has lots of yoga instructors and restaurant servers.

7 hours ago, Bob44 said:

You can't legally work here. The place is over run with yoga instructors and restaurant servers.

You did read where I said I'm open to any job? But thanks for the amazing help, my friend. 

Any job? Do you know the wage structure my friend? House cleaners make about $ 2.65 USD per hour.  You still are not eligible to work.

You need either a temporary residency with permission to work, or you need permanent residency, which doesn't require any special permission to work. Working in Mexico, at ANY job, unless you are working online for an out-of-country business, is illegal. It's great that you have your hearts set on moving to Sayulita, just make sure you inform yourselves of the laws and requirements. And if you are planning on moving to a foreign country, it would be respectful to do more than be "willing to try and learn" the language.

11 hours ago, Bob44 said:

Any job? Do you know the wage structure my friend? House cleaners make about $ 2.65 USD per hour.  You still are not eligible to work.

I do know the wage structure and I do know it's illegal to work unless you have a work visa. I don't understand the sarcasm built into your responses to a person trying to research and ask people who are familiar with the area.  

8 hours ago, mudgirl said:

You need either a temporary residency with permission to work, or you need permanent residency, which doesn't require any special permission to work. Working in Mexico, at ANY job, unless you are working online for an out-of-country business, is illegal. It's great that you have your hearts set on moving to Sayulita, just make sure you inform yourselves of the laws and requirements. And if you are planning on moving to a foreign country, it would be respectful to do more than be "willing to try and learn" the language.

Hello. I appreciate your response, thank you! I do know I need a work visa in order to legally work. The reason why I'm reaching out on here is because I'm researching this in all different ways; many times, asking people who have made this same move are the best ones to ask, which is why I thought people on this site would be helpful. If you wanted to move to Chicago or Arizona, I'm more than happy to help you out as best as I can.  Please know I do respect the country and the people and by saying 'willing to try and learn' means I literally will try my best to learn but I am American and have spoken English my entire life and I still have a lot to learn about my own language.  Thank you again for your time, much appreciated. 

Well, if you are seriously planning to move here within the next year, I strongly suggest that you sign up for some beginning Spanish courses now where you live, or online, or using language learning tapes, rather than to start trying to learn when you get here. You will find your experience much fuller if you actually can understand at least some of what is being said around you. Many people who come to Mexico on vacation assume that most of the local Mexicans speak English, simply because the ones who work in the businesses which cater to tourists do. I can assure you that the majority of Mexicans, even in a tourist town, do not speak English, anymore than the average American is bilingual.

I agree 💯 percent!

I would suggest becoming familiar with the work and labor laws here in Mexico. Since you are not fluent in Spanish, getting you temporary or permanent resident card and permission to work will require you to hire a lawyer for translation purposes and to walk you through the necessary steps for obtaining your residency and becoming eligible to legally work in Mexico. All paper work will be in Spanish. You must also check online with what the requirements are for qualifying for your residency as it seems to constantly change. 

On SayulitaLife.com there is a section of some highly qualifies legal services that can help you with any questions you may have and walk you through the process of becoming legal to work and live here in Mexico. 

https://www.sayulitalife.com/sayulita-legal