Potis

Golf Cart Rental - Electric vs Gas

6 posts in this topic

We are renting a home just at the end of town near the beach, not up high on the hill. We are considering renting a golf car for part of our stay. I am looking for advise on gas vs electric.  We will do some exploring up in the hills etc. and then mostly just around town.   I have read that elect has more torque so better for the hills, and of corse quite which is nicer for the public. but then I have also read that hills will wear out the batteries quicker so gas is better. Ant advice is appreciated.  Thank you. 

Hi Potis

Thanks for your post. You may want to check with the rental company as I have heard that golf carts are currently not being allowed on the roads. This was still an ongoing problem a week ago so I'm not sure if the situation has been resolved. Not sure of the whole story as to why but maybe someone else can answer that.

Stormsam 

I ran into the same questions when I last was there and had the opportunity to rent both so that I could make my own conclusions. Personally, I like the look of the lifted carts and thought that they only came in gas, but quickly learned that they come in electric as well. Personally, I preferred the electric carts. They are quicker, have more torque and are obviously quieter than the gas ones. And they will go pretty much anywhere you want in town. Just make sure that you charge it every night and you will be fine. We never ran out of power and enjoyed ourselves. There are many shops in town that rent the carts, although I am not sure what the current situation is with the carts. 

It's hard to say what the resolution to the golf cart situation is, however for any interested parties looking to rent a gas or electric cart in town, I highly urge people to either call or email the owners and get the answers from them. No one wants to go on a vacation and pick up their reserved pre-paid cart only to find out they're still not allowed on the streets. Many companies can be found on SayulitaLife.com - click on the "Email Owner" button or find their phone number on their page and contact them :)

https://www.sayulitalife.com/taxi_transportation

UPDATE on Golf Carts: this was written from someone in a different forum just passing along the info:

"First of all, there will be regulation as they expressed, but they haven't yet informed the requirements for regulation, but likely all carts must have a minimum of safety and operation equipment.

Also, it has been advised that there will be control on:

.Underage drivers (not permitted under NO circumstance
.People drinking on carts or DUI
.Carts overloaded (max 2 in 2 seaters and max 4 in 4 seaters)
.No one can go standing on the back seats
.Nobody can load a bunch of kids in a golf cart threatening their security, abide to the max payload of each cart mentioned.
.Avoid sitting toddlers or older kids on the lap, use the seats.
.Respect and abide all rules of parking & direction of traffic, specially giving emphasis to those that do double parking or park in corners or block the ramps for wheel chairs.

*So, starting now, everyone is allowed to drive the carts.*

This is the word from the director de tránsito del estado.

And *all the above minimum rules MUST BE followed by everyone*

Traffic police will be controlling the normal use of carts."

Edited by SayuSoul