Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Gringomike

Summertime

6 posts in this topic

Question for people who live full time in Sayulita and/ or surrounding areas. Could you tell me how you handle the heat in the summertime? How much of your daily activities are curtailed? Do you have to stay inside most of the day? Also, do you find that you acclimate over time to the heat?

I spend a lot of my days on our covered patio with a ceiling fan going in the summer, playing on the Internet or reading books and am wondering if I could do the same there without being too uncomfortable.  

Thank you in advance for any discussions on this.

It all depends on your living situation. It's really hot and really humid with little relief except when it rains at night, but If you live somewhere that has a breeze like on a hill or on the second level not blocked by other tall buildings you'll be okay. Other than when it rains it doesn't cool down below 80 degrees at night and it's an average of 95 during the day.  Keep in mind the humidity makes it feel much hotter. 

So if you have a place that is breezy with lots of windows, trees for shade, a pool and good a/c in the bedrooms you'll be comfortable. If you live in a basic place without much ventilation, without good a/c, that's tucked away on a street or between other houses and you don't get a breeze, you'll be uncomfortable from June through the end of November. 

Thank you. I am living in Ajijij, Mx for past 7 years where temps are great year round, but really want to live by the ocean. I know that people do live in Sayulita all year, so I guess it can't be totally unbearable. Thanks again.

Actually I find June and October to be the hottest months here- before it starts raining and after it stops, when there is just relentless heat and high humidity. Once the rainy season starts, it cools things down considerably. I live here year round, in the countryside (so not a bunch of concrete around to hold the heat), have a dense garden, some breeze some of the time, I don't have any AC (personally, I hate sleeping in an air conditioned room), just fans, and I do everything I would normally do, albeit a little slower and with several breaks to stand in a cool shower.  For sleeping, I find a standing fan directed on me works better than a ceiling fan. I know some people find the summer here unbearable, but I'd much rather be too hot than too cold. And Ajijic is way too cold for me in the winter! Didn't move to Mexico to need a heater.

1 person likes this

This is my second summer in Sayulita and like Radita says, it's all about your living situation and your comfort level. My first summer I lived in a one  bedroom, tucked away behind other buildings, no A/C, no cross breeze, and I took about 3 showers a day due to constant sweating. I'm not someone who enjoys the heat and humidity so I did as much as I could to be inside after 10am. 7-10am I'd do my grocery shopping, go to the tienda to get cleaning supplies, run errands, take my laundry out, etc., and after 10 or 11am hits, I'd hibernate in bed, read a book, work online etc.,  The heat outside and humidity was too much for my laptop ( A LOT of Apple product batteries expand out here) and my computer would overheat, so I worked mainly inside. My second summer, I was living in a nice house with AC and tons of floor fans and ceiling fans with the house located on top of the hill with a lot of great afternoon breeze. 

That being said, if you live close to the beach it's great to take a short walk, jump in the ocean, grab an agua fresca or cerveza, and relax for the rest of the day. 

I agree with all of the above.  One thing that wasn't mentioned is how different Sayulita is in summer, a slower pace with time to get to know other year rounders and the native Sayulitans.  Another thing I really love is the tropical rain and exploding jungle.  It's my favorite time of year here.  As for the heat and humidity, it is no different from where I grew up on the East Coast except here I have a pool and ocean to cool me off.