Zenyatta

taxi fares to and from Sayulita

17 posts in this topic

Every year, taxi fares are increasing. Culminating in costing us 800 pesos to go from PVR airport to here, and we did cross the Vallarta overpass to catch the taxi. Last year it cost 800 to get to the airport from here and we are cringing at the thought of what it might cost now. Is there are governance around fees?   Is there something we could be saying differently to taxi drivers?   I never thought taxi fares would become an issue in the decision-making involved in travel plans but now they are.   The increases have just about priced us out of visiting this area. There are so many other places to see. 

Costs keep going up everywhere so there is not much you can do about it. When you think about it $800 pesos is only around $40 US for a 45 minute taxi trip. It would cost way more for that trip where I live. You could take the bus next time, last I checked it was 30 pesos.

Stormsam has a great suggestion, the bus (although not a luxury bus but inexpensive transportation) can take you straight into Sayulita for around 30 pesos. You will want to take the green and white bus that says Compostela. The buses are across the bridge where the taxis are. 

Alternatively, you can always post here for a ride share or exchange as well as post in several groups on other social media accounts asking for a ride share and help pitch in for gas. 

Please remember, taxi rates continue to fluctuate as the peso rate changes, as well as taxis do cross a state border to go from PVR > Sayulita in Nayarit. There are regulations for taxi rates however I don't know enough to provide an explanation or talk about it. Hope it helps!! 

Are you getting the taxi at the airport?.....if so walk over the pedestrian bridge outside the airport and grab a taxi there....much cheaper

The original poster stated that they DID catch a taxi from the other side of the highway and that they were charged 800 pesos.

The bus is easy and cheap, as others have replied. Travelers could then catch a local taxi to wherever they are staying if they don´t want to walk.

Thanks all. Since that post we've found fares are variable, still. There is a lot of room for negotiation.   I suspect high season rates will rise as always, but we will continue to tip well for superior service and there are several very good drivers around. 

Will the taxi drivers over the bridge stop for you to buy some groceries on the way?

For more money 

Over Christmas the Economy rental car company quoted us 9 dollars a day on orbitz and then tried to charge us 50 usd on top of that for insurance.  They got us with the old bait and switch.  I know this happens a lot but this company up-charged me more than any of  the other companies and I have used many of them.  I refused to do that so we went outside of their store front and found a taxi for 600 and tipped 200.  My wife's parents were with us but if not we would have taken the bus.  I love the bus.  It is a good way to show up in town.  As someone said above:  800 pesos is like 40 usd and gas is expensive.

Over Christmas the Economy rental car company quoted us 9 dollars a day on orbitz and then tried to charge us 50 usd on top of that for insurance.  They got us with the old bait and switch.  I know this happens a lot but this company up-charged me more than any of  the other companies and I have used many of them.  I refused to do that so we went outside of their store front and found a taxi for 600 and tipped 200.  My wife's parents were with us but if not we would have taken the bus.  I love the bus.  It is a good way to show up in town.  As someone said above:  800 pesos is like 40 usd and gas is expensive.

Thank you sievs1, I appreciate you taking the time to reply. We are considering the bus although I thought I read somewhere that you have to hold your suitcase on your lap in the bus. Does anyone know if this is really the case. Thanks again.

~Ed

Just depends how many people are on the bus.  If there are not many people you can just take an extra seat for your luggage.  If it is crowded you will figure it out. I have never had a problem even during Xmas.

Ed589 - I've never had to put my suitcase on my lap, only if the bus was crowded and I had a hiking back pack plus a suitcase. If there's room on the bus, I use a seat next to me for my suitcase. When I'm traveling alone back from PV - Sayulita, there are generally people on the bus that will help me if my arms are full with bags/ luggage. I've never had an issue. I've gone back and fourth from the states to Sayulita with luggage on the bus approx. 9 times in the past 2 years. 

sievs1 and SayuSoul,

Thanks very much for the information on the bus from PV to Sayulita. You have banished any anxiety I may have harbored! :-) My wife and I will take the bus from the airport to Sayulita.

The best,

~Ed

And you know you have to catch the bus from the other side of the highway from the airport, crossing over the overhead walkway, right? The buses to Sayulita don't come into the airport. Make sure it says Sayulita in the front window, some only go as far as Bucerias or Punta de Mita.

Thanks mudgirl, will do.

The best,

~Ed

We found the bridge by going out the main doors, through all the taxis and shuttles and then on the sidewalk to the left. You can see the bridge by then. We crossed the bridge and a Compastela bus was already waiting. Great ride to Sayulita, a bit bumpy but the bumps were more than made up for with the scenery.