DianeR

Will They Fix The Water Treatment Plant

18 posts in this topic

We got really sick swimming in the bay here. It seems to be known by some of the locals that people get sick from swimming in the bay because the water treatment plant doesn't work properly. Will they fix this and/or close the beach so people will stop getting sick?

1 person likes this

This has been quite the flu season, and is not Sayulita or Mexico specific. Many people have contracted a virus who haven't been in or near the water at all, so to say that people are getting sick from swimming is not only inaccurate, but irresponsible. The water treatment plant is working and Pro Sayulita has been having the water tested on a regular basis. Water quality continues to improve. Please remember that this is Mexico, and anywhere there is a river flowing into the ocean there may be at times, water quality issues, such as during the rains. Even though there is a water treatment plant, It cannot control what goes on upstream, and what is being dumped into the river. There have been zero results of salmonella, and at times very slightly elevated levels of e coli near the river mouth and further up the river. Here are some test results from the Federal Secretary of the Environment and Natural Resources. http://www.semarnat.gob.mx/playas/playas_limpias/destinos/bahia-de-banderas The water tested well below the allowed limits for enterococcus bacteria. Up to 100 ppm is allowed to be considered safe. The result was only 50. These tests were performed just after the rainy season when bacteria conditions are favorable. The results would be even lower now that the river is barely flowing.

It definitely was not a flu. Why do some of the locals say that people get sick swimming in the water? Why does the treatment plant smell so terrible? I think it's irresponsible for you all not to close the beach. One person (who lives there) said that she had friends visiting a few months ago and that people were getting sick from swimming in the bay and that they went to Los Meurtos instead and they were ok swimming there.

1 person likes this

Why do you refuse to believe the water quality test results that have been posted? I live here, I have a guest house and have had about 300 people staying here in the last 8 months or so. Most of these people have gone in the ocean and not one of them got sick. Not one. It's people who refuse to believe science, who listen to and believe gossip, who damage this town.

My guess is the water sample came from further out in the bay. I am not the only person who feels they got sick from swimming in addition to local people telling us that the water treatment plant doesn't always work properly. It is irresponsible for the locals not to warm the tourists. Here one local admits that she got sick from swimming in the water and alerts her tenants to not swim in the bay.

http://jaltembajalapeno.com/jaltemba_bay_forum/posting.php?mode=reply&f=2&t=7757&sid=d432166c0d74333d3f5a2a9b863de703

I'm sure Sayulita will continue to have many tourists visit your town. I however am alerting folks that it indeed is not a sleepy quaint little beach town. It's noisy and dirty. Most of the time I had my hand over my nose so I wouldn't smell the urine smell in the streets. Go ahead continue to delete my posts. It was real we were really sick and it was dangerous.

Diane, no need to keep guessing, let's stick to facts..Am happy to provide more details. There were 12 different locations tested. Please see the locations and results below.

Treatment Plant 1: E Coli 2160 Salmonella 0

Treatment Plant 2 : E Coli 2280 Salmonella 0

Mouth of North River: E Coli 2220 Salmonella 0

400 m N of river mouth: E Coli 1420 Salmonella 0

400 m S of river mouth: E Coli 1940 Salmonella 0

Corner of Pelicanos: E Coli 0 Salmonella 0

In front of kinder: E Coli 1340 Salmonella 0

Front of Chilly Willys: E Coli 1460 Salmonella 0

Gaviottes y Navarrete: E Coli 0 Salmonella 0

Tortilleria Calmar: E Coli 0 Salmonella 0

In front of plata potable: E Coli 1620 Salmonella 0

As mentioned in the previous post, water testing results continue to improve. There have been zero results of salmonella, in any location, and at times very slightly elevated levels (above 2000) of e coli near the river mouth and further up the river near the treatment plant. (Mouth of North River, Treatment Plant 1, Treatment Plant 2).

Also please don't forget there has been additional government testing for enterococcus bacteria, which you can read about here: http://www.semarnat.gob.mx/playas/playas_limpias/destinos/bahia-de-banderas

As for the treatment plant smelling, I have never been near one in any country that didn't have some odor.

Did you by any chance eat raw oysters? Oysters in warm waters carry a bacteria (V. vulnificus), and I got really sick from them. If anything should be stopped it should be those guys selling the oysters on the beach.

Here is a post from the same thread from somebody else who lives here. I do understand that you're upset that you got sick while on vacation but please understand that there are many, many reasons why people get sick. Airplanes are the number 1 carrier of germs while travelling. As the previous poster mentioned, eating raw oysters on the beach here is another reason, leading to similar symptoms to those you described. People wash their hands before eating but do they dry them properly? Can you be certain no bug was picked up on your flight down? I had the same illness you described and haven't been in the ocean for 2 years. (again I say, personal preference - I like my pool). Our maid was sick. My partner got sick. Same symptoms, same story. These people don't go in the ocean. As far as we're all concerned (people who live here in Sayulita), this was a bad flu that has lingered through the winter.

I don't like when people cherry-pick posts from other threads (just like I'm doing here) because they never tell the whole story. But here's the post I mentioned earlier from the same thread you mentioned earlier:

icon_post_target.gif by Johan » Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:32 pm

I have not heard of anyone coming down with anything that could be attributed to the ocean water. Lots of flu, real bad flu.

I swim often.
1 person likes this

The post from "Sayulita Puke Bag" has been removed as it did not conform to Forum Rules and Guidelines.

Utter nonsense!! Well apparently Diane had more than one issue. Sayulita noisy and dirty? Plug her nose from the smell of urine in the street? Seems like she is the kind of gal that should holiday at the Ritz ( they have an outbreak of bedbugs in NYC from what I read). Sayulita is an amazing lil town, it in no way should be compared to a 5 star resort. Looks like she came during Semana Santa which could explain her feelings. Give Sayulita a try when not so busy. Or maybe this is just not your cup of tea, no reason to bash and speculate. I am sure all who live and work here are sad to hear that you got sick on your holiday, no one wants to see someone ill. But to alert people to stay away is kind of petty. Like I said Sayulita just wasn't your kind of place. To me its magical and the people are wonderful.

I so wish it had been a magical place for us. You two can be as nasty as you want. I am not the type who stays at the Ritz that is why we chose to stay at local hotels/palapas. We got sick for 5 and 6 days. We did not eat oysters - drank bottled water. Trust me I'm not the only one who has had poor experiences there. It would only behoove you to fix your treatment facility if you want to sustain your tourist income. The town has a plethora of pharmacies - which indicates to me that people get sick going there. If you want to keep up if people are getting sick or not see below. Fortunately some people are going there and not getting sick.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g445056-i9130-k8194758-Sayulita_Virus-Sayulita_Pacific_Coast.html

There are a plethora of farmacias (pharmacies) in many towns in Mexico, especially tourist towns, because it is a very lucrative business. Americans and Canadians can buy drugs over the counter here that would require a prescription in their home country, and in some cases get them at cheaper prices too.

I have not been in the water for years, mainly because I think it is dirty but..............I did get sick this year like many other folks with a type of flu. I also know many people that swim in the water often and do not get sick. I do agree the town has some trash issues. I do my part when I am there. Yes I travel thru out Mexico and make a mental note comparing it to Sayulita.

There are 11 of us this trip, ages 2 to 67, all playing all day long in the bay, every other day for a week. No problems so far.

I was surprised to see how many expats and Mexicans alike let their dogs run free, through people's beach spots, and pooping and peeing in the shallow waters. (They were not strays: All were collared and tagged and it was obvious which dogs belonged to which people). People don't seem to get that with great freedoms come great responsibilities.

I'm here right now, the river flow is non-existent. Regarding the sewage treatment plant, has anyone ever visited one in a supposed "modern city"? They are often smelly. I can't believe how many people blame this plant for their ailments, they are basing it on guess work and weird leaps of logic. The water quality is tested regularly, and it is fine. Stop the fear mongering, and enjoy yourself. People can get the flu anywhere, and or a stomach bug, it doesn't mean it was caused by the water quality coming out of sewage treatment plant. Crazy leap of "logic" people... I am having a great time, no problems here. The water is fine, the surf is good, and the people are great. peace out.

We just finished a week surfing here. A group of 7 healthy adults staying at two different places. We all spent several days throwing up and with diarrhea. All 7 of us. The only thing we had in common that agreed with when we got sick was surfing in the bay. The mouth of the river right at the water smelled fetid, as did the coastline to the south. There is not just a water treatment plan there, but also a public restroom right on the river, and horses tied up along the river. We tried to come figure out anything else to blame, but the only thing that made any sense was surfing in the bay.

maybe some times of year, the water if fine. But some other times it definitely is not. The town would really benefit from daily water testing to know how often the water is bad, and to raise swimming alerts when it is bad. Testing once a year is clearly misleading.

I've been here for 2 weeks, with a group of 9, 3 got an overnight illness, much like the 24 hour flu. They got this a day apart, one got sick, then the next got sick a day later. You can blame that on whatever you want, dehydration, too much sun, the flu, stomach bug from greasy or unsafe food, a certain restaurant where the food didn't seem well prepared, polluted water in the ocean, etc. Sometimes people just get sick, they get the flu, or they ate something that didn't agree with them. Simple easy explanation. I've been in the water all the time over the past 2 weeks, not a problem at all. Same for most of our party, not a problem. To think you would drink enough water surfing to make you sick, sorry I'm not buying it. 

As for the testing, to my knowledge it is done monthly, and Sayulita always passes the safety tests.  

The smelly river, that is not the river, but the smell is from the sewage treatment plant located right beside the river. If anyone has ever visited one of these treatment plants in the USA or Canada, they smell. Even our town in Canada has a state of the art sewage treatment plant, and you can smell it when you are near it. 

Sorry to hear some people in various groups got sick, but looking for a specific cause such as the water in the bay when it passes the safety tests is not science, it's a fear mongering guess at best. I'd say it is far more likely you caught a flu bug, or perhaps ate something that didn't agree with you, much like can happen anywhere around the world. 

We have been coming to Sayulita for more than 25 years.   When we first arrived, there was NO sewage treatment plant.  One that got built since then was wiped out by a hurricane.  We are fortunate to have one now!  

The problem is that there are way too many visitors during major holiday periods.  We were just there for two weeks after Christmas.  The first week we were there the crowds were huge and this temporary overpopulation overwhelmed the sewage line infrastructure.  If you had been there and walked down Palmar (the street between Revolution and the beach) you would have seen water (sewage) bubbling up from the manholes in the street.  This water flows down the street all the way to the river and then into the ocean.  The following week, after many visitors returned home, there was little if any flow from the manholes.  

We generally do not get ill when in Sayulita and have not for the past two and one-half decades.  We did get sick (but not too bad) this trip and we feel fairly certain that the flow in the streets must be a contributing factor.  People walk through it and vehicles drive through it.  Can't be too healthy!

I hope that the Pueblo Magico designation will bring funds to Saylita that can be used to make vast improvements to the infrastructure in our wonderful little town.

Sayulita is not a resort town--it is for the adventurous among us!  Those of us who have been coming for many years know that we cannot take for granted that our houses will have water or electricity while we are visiting.  But nothing can keep me from enjoying Sayulita!