10 posts in this topic

In planning our retirement to Sayulita, I am having difficulty estimating what we will be paying for home insurance in mexico. Assuming a 350,000 USD home insured against fire, huriane, earthquake and whatever else is required, does anyone have any ballpark estimates for me? Thank you in advance. Saludos

Really? No fires, no storm damages? Will you expand on that please? A little confused.

WE got insurance through Alejandro Benjamin Otegui Zaimez email is oteguibenja@gmail.com

Basic policy, very inexpensive, about $550 for $150,000 but we added HMP which covers floods hurricanes water damage, that brought the cost up significantly. Heck thats the only thing you really need it for and its an extra.

1 person likes this

Ok, thank you. So, basically this is one of the things that is more expensive in Mexico.

When purchasing home owners insurance you need to look into flooding, wind damage (what is covered and the deductibles, earth quakes and of course deductible caps. Most insurance companies world wide always search for reasons not to pay on their policies. Insurance is legalized smile, IMHO. Over 50% of Mexicans do not carry auto insurance, and Mexican law does say it is mandatory.

Thanks BJ. I must say on auto insurance in California it is sadly the same way. That's why I always add U/M to policy. So from what I have gleaned from this thread is that I need to be concerned for hurricane and earthquake damage water included. I guess not so much concern for fire since construction is cement and cinder block. I am really looking forward to being there.

1 person likes this

Hi Matthewcordua,

I know this thread is from 2014, have you moved to Sayulita? If so, did you purchase home insurance? My family and I are thinking of relocating as well and are curious what the cost would be. Any advice?

Jenna

I have a home I built here and consider house insurance a waste of $. My house is solid concrete construction, no palapas to catch fire or blow away in a hurricane, and since the cost of construction repairs are relatively low here, I can't see the point in forking out insurance $ every year, then filling out endless paperwork, fighting with the insurance company, etc. if I ever had a claim. Getting some cracks repaired after an earthquake would likely cost less than the deductible.

Audrey at Audrey International can be of great help and service for these kinds of questions. Although this thread is from 2014- it's still a very relevant topic of interest for new homeowners. 

https://www.sayulitalife.com/audrey-international