amiga80

You Can Have A Wedding In Sayulita Without A Planner!!

14 posts in this topic

Hello all future brides and grooms hoping to marry in Sayulita that are on a budget,

I was recently married in Sayulita and wanted to share with you that we did not use a planner and still had an incredible wedding! Everyone in Sayulita that I spoke with insited that we use a planner. However, for our small budget, $2,000 dollars was a hefty price to pay to hire one. If you can afford it, go for it! It seems as if they are doing a great job! (So PS this is not to discredit the work that the planners are doing. I just wanted to share info with folks like me who couldn't afford them!)

However, if budget is an issue, I HIGHLY recommend that you do what we did. We were married at Don Pedro's Palapa, which is breath takingly beautiful. The upfront rental cost seems pricey, however, this includes the rental of the space, the table set up, the use of alll the plates and silverware, staff to serve your guests, etc. You really end up not worrying about anything. They set up everything.

The other advantage to using this space is that the fellow who runs the events, Alonso, was awesome and took care of everything for us. I can't express how impressed I was with his professionalism and calmness the day of. Everything at the wedding was flawless and he we there the whole time making sure everything was running smoothly. Plus, he doesn't charge a thing! He won't claim to be a planner, which is true, but all the things that you may feel stressed about by doing the wedding without a planner are taken care of by Alonso.

Budget aside, anyone looking for someone to cater their wedding should seriously consider using Don Pedros. The food was wonderful and people couldn't stop talking about how amazing the whole spread was. We chose the traditional buffet with classic mexican dishes. It was incredible. Later in the night, Alonso lined up for some guys to come and cook up some tacos. It was like having our own mini taco truck! It was so wonderful.

Other ways to save money:

1. Buy your flowers in Bucerias. You don't have to pay $1,200 for flowers. We spent less than two hundred dollars on flowers and they were gorgeous and abundant. My friends' moms made the boquets the day of. There are two flower shops on the West side of the road when you pass through Bucerias on the main road. The one that is named after a woman that has more flowers in it is cheaper and the people are SO sweet. Their young daughter and her husband sell boquets in Sayulita. you may recognize them

2. Buy your cake through Pie in the Sky in Bucerias. Our cake was beautiful and decadent. They speak English, you can email them ahead of time, and they will deliver your cake to the restaurant and Alonso will take care of it for you.

3. Worried about lighting in the Palalpa? For a nominal fee, Alonso can get someone to set up a whole bunch of lanterns for you.

4. Alonso can hook you up with a DJ and live music.

5. Buy your decorations in Puerto Vallarta. We bought a whole bunch of tin hearts and funny candies to decorate the tables. The table cloths at Don Pedros are white so we also bought some colorful napkins. It didnt cost much and everyone was able to take a heart home, and now we have some awesome table linens to remind us of the wedding.

I hope this helps. If you have any questions, post on here and I will try to answer them. Good luck!

Very nice post. Thank you! :)

Very nice post. Thank you! :)

Good info, thankyou!

Would you mind giving some idea as to the location rental cost and the food?

Many thanks.

Good info, thankyou!

Would you mind giving some idea as to the location rental cost and the food?

Many thanks.

[/quot

Sure! I would check directly with Don Pedros as I think the prices change depending on the number of people. Renting the palapa was $1500 (Which we thought was alot until we discovered that most of the local house charge a large sum to have the event there and then you must also pay to have everything brought in, set up, rent plates, etc.) This included access to the place all day as well as a complete staff and set up/tear down like I mentioned above. I think we paid $35 dollars a head for food. This also seemed expensive to us, but the food was incredible, there were copius amounts, and everything was flawless. When all was said and done I think we paid $6,000 dollars for the wedding for 56 people. For bar service, talk to Alonso about a signature drink and using domestic beer. This man is very flexible. The bar fees include five hours of service and they poor stiff drinks. My guests had a great time! Seriously though, if you are interested, I would just call Don Pedros and ask to speak to Alonso for some price quotes. He speaks great English. Good luck!

PS Google "Brisa del Mar Palapa" to get an idea of the place. It is incredible. It is NOT the same place as Don Pedros restaurant.

Thankyou!

i think it's great you found all this, but we opted to hire yazmin from "sayulia dream weddings" and she was TERRIFIC and though we might have spent a bit more the hassle, time, and not having to enrolls teams of people to do more errands for us than relax & enjoy their time in sayulita was well worth it. she was responsive, understood our budget, helpful, knowledgable, flexible. she even helped with our friday night dinner party and sunday brunch all for the same rate which was above & beyond hte call of duty. she drove with me to PV, took me the the tops shops with competitive prices, negotiated with our vendors, just wen the extra mile to make sure our day was great and memorable and hassle free. i totally recommend her assuming people have the funds to fit this in their budget and are ok with a planner.

Thank you so much - this information really was helpful. How much time do you think it took to arrange everything on your own? Which DJ did you use?

Also - what did you use for chairs, wedding canopy?

We're getting married there in October and still debating about hiring a planner...

At the beginning of everything we were thinking of going on our own planning for the wedding, but trust me on this one, it's way better to go with a planner. We also went for Yazmin from "Sea of Dreams", and I must say she is really the best! We just got married March 21st

She got us the best deals in prices than the ones we could get for ourselves, plus she handled every single issue with the providers while we were simply enjoying the party and taking care of our guests and family.

The budget was really an issue for us, as we opened our office a couple of months before, and Yazmin made every cent worth it.

We'd like to share our video of the wedding so you can get the feeling ;)

http://www.youtube.com/moycuevas

Saludos!

Dr. Moy

At the beginning of everything we were thinking of going on our own planning for the wedding, but trust me on this one, it's way better to go with a planner. We also went for Yazmin from "Sea of Dreams", and I must say she is really the best! We just got married March 21st

She got us the best deals in prices than the ones we could get for ourselves, plus she handled every single issue with the providers while we were simply enjoying the party and taking care of our guests and family.

The budget was really an issue for us, as we opened our office a couple of months before, and Yazmin made every cent worth it.

We'd like to share our video of the wedding so you can get the feeling ;)

http://www.youtube.com/moycuevas

Saludos!

Dr. Moy

Great video Dr. Moy...I enjoyed it!

I completely agree. Yazmin with Sea of Dreams is the way to go! It is completely worth the coordinator price. I feel that we saved that much in time and hassle and she was able to bargain for the best price on all levels. Thank you Yazmin for making our special day a dream come true!

Hello, everyone. I'll come at this from a different angle. I am a local business owner and often work hand in hand with the wedding coordinators in this area. And, I have to say, hands down, Andrea and Gabriel at Sayulita Dream Weddings are the top pick. The most lovely weddings and receptions I've attended have been orchestrated by this dynamic duo. Andrea has an artist's eye for every detail, turning the ordinary into something extraordinaire. The comments I've heard from bride and groom and families are all positive. They have a stellar reputation. I recommend them without hestitation.

Tamara, Harmonia Holistica

My husband and I also used Andrea and Gabbi from Sayulita Dream Weddings. I wish I was eloquent enough to describe all that they did for us. It was by far the best decision that we made regarding our wedding. They are up front about all costs, they are flexible and willing to work with your budget, and they really took the stress out of the entire week. They organized three events for us and each one went off with out a hitch. While it may seem like an expensive up front cost, it was completely worth every penny.

When I began planning, I became frustrated because most of the contacts I emailed took weeks to get back to me. Andrea and Gabbi are both Americans (as of March for Gabbi, congrats!) and they understand the quick response expected via email. I can't say enough wonderful things about them and I highly recommend them if you are considering hiring a planner in Sayulita.

Thank you so much for your post! I am trying to plan our wedding at the Palapa myself as well.  I was wondering how did you get to Bucerias to get the flowers? Did you just take a cab the day before the wedding? How much was the DJ? My wedding is very small (20 people) and I have been concerned the Palapa is too big. Do you think it is? Do they leave the beach wood arch you see in pictures there for everyone to decorate themselves? Thank you in advance!! I know I have a ton of questions, but we really can't afford a wedding planner for such a small wedding!

Very nice post by the OP. Too bad so many people found it necessary to counter what she said about being able to successfully plan their own wedding and plug the various Sayulita wedding planners, who are by all reports excellent at what they do, but that was not the topic.

So somewhat off-topic, but pertinent: there are many huge wedding parties in Sayulita. The guests are booked at various rental properties around town. There have been many instances of these properties, full of people in party mode, keeping the neighbors (local Mexicans, local foreigners, and other tourists) awake until 4 or 5 in the morning with super loud music, drunken screaming and yelling, etc. Please be aware that just because you are in extreme party mode, not everyone is. In fact, the very people who serve you in the restaurants, plan and work for the weddings, run the shops where you will purchase your stuff, etc. need to sleep at night so they can get up and do their jobs in the morning. Please try to be respectful.